Modernisation Project Summary
“Set amongst the backdrop of Cheltenham’s fashionable Montpellier district, the Queens Hotel – MGallery offers a civilised haven for guests. Glide through the revolving doors and discover a truly majestic setting, complete with décor and architecture which encapsulates the elegance, heritage and grandeur of the neo-classical era. Experience 84 beautifully appointed guestrooms, relax in opulently finished public areas, or take in the stunning views of the Imperial Square Gardens"
The Existing Installation and the customers "Vision"
The original lift was a 4 Stop 630 Kg / 8 Person Open Front overhead electric traction passenger lift of date unknown. The lift was the main passenger lift situated in the elegant foyer. Challenges for this project ranged from working in a busy working hotel over peak season, and the delicate environment such as the listed wall paper that matches the wallpaper used in the houses of parliament. The lift was looking extremely tired and dated, not in keeping with the decor of the rest of the hotel. The controller and machine were dated and compounded with door operational problems resulted in lift performance not in keeping with the hotels high standards. Working with the hotel a modernisation solution based on reliability and various car interior concepts were proposed by the customers design team and specialist car re-line contractor.
Summary of Modernisation Works
- Full modernisation package based on Concept Elevators recommendations and consultation.
- New GAL Car Door , Operator , Detector Edge & new GAL door equipment (including door adaption’s).
- New Sassi Gear-less Machine, Sheaves, Ropes and Guarding.
- New ILE CAN-X Lift Controller and Shaft Signalling.
- New Speed Governor, Tension Weight, Rope and Safety Gear.
- New Customised Car Re-line in conjunction with Customers Design Team.
- New Car Operating Panel and refurbished landing Stations as not to damage “listed" Wallpaper.
- New certified Electrics by a qualified NIC EIC electrical contractor.
- Skip and Storage container
- Testing and Commissioning.
- Lifting Beam and Lifting Eye testing.
- Floor protection through the duration of the works.
The magnificent surroundings, emphasis on finishes, “Listed" wall paper and a peak season proved to be the key challenges for this project. The majority of the works were contained in the lift shaft, machine room and at the top floor landing as not to disrupt the guests. The programme was tightly packed into 6 weeks with a wide variety of trades constantly in and out of site requiring careful management. The results of which is a stunning lift car Interior in conjunction with a new door and control system delivering a lift service the hotel can truly rely on.